Each week, the New Yorker provides a cartoon in need of a caption. You, the reader, submit your caption, they choose three finalists, and you vote for your favorite. Any U.S. resident age eighteen or older can enter.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Sunday, December 01, 2013
Sunday, November 24, 2013
Sunday, April 28, 2013
Sunday, September 02, 2012
Saturday, August 04, 2012
Sunday, July 29, 2012
Thursday, July 19, 2012
|"We lost Jeremy Lin."|
The piggy at the complaint department is back. The New Yorker is republishing the cartoon featured—and mocked—in the 1998 Seinfeld episode, "The Cartoon." The magazine is asking readers for their ideas in this week's cartoon caption contest. In the episode from 14 years ago, Elaine gripes that the New Yorker cartoons make no sense, and submits a simpler one of her own that the magazine publishes. The joke is on her when it later turns out Elaine has accidentally plagiarized a Ziggy cartoon. Read More
Posted by Johnnyk at 4:35 PM
Sunday, June 24, 2012
Sunday, January 15, 2012
Monday, December 26, 2011
Sunday, December 18, 2011
Sunday, December 11, 2011
Monday, December 05, 2011
Monday, August 22, 2011
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Sunday, June 05, 2011
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Sunday, April 04, 2010
Sunday, January 03, 2010
Sunday, December 20, 2009
FAMILY CHRISTMAS PROJECT
"I didn't know your sister was a cellist!"
"What goes on in the kitchen, stays ...."
"She used to play at the Russian Tea Room."
"YoYo Ma cancelled at the last minute, but Mary stepped in."
"Do we need to tip her out?"
"I've said for years the song works better in 'D' Minor."
"It's a fish reunion gig."
"Oh my, the drama of the daily catch."
"Is all of Europe like this?"
"Duck, Duck, Goose was always my favorite."
"Culinary artists, creative juices flowing, with nude cello."
"That catch of the day can be a wild ride."
Posted by Johnnyk at 4:53 PM
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Saturday, December 05, 2009
Sunday, November 29, 2009
The New Yorker picked:
- "So you're the infamous Sudsy Malone."
Submitted by Dave Barber, Columbus, Ohio
- "Couldn't you just have had a last-meal request like everyone else?"
Submitted by William Babula, Santa Rosa, Calif.
- "It says Martha Stewart once lived here."
Submitted by Laurence Lytton, New York, N.Y.
Posted by Johnnyk at 6:48 PM
Monday, November 23, 2009
"Look, I've embraced your stay-cation concept."
The New Yorker picked:
- "Don't worry, I ate lunch more than an hour ago."
Submitted by Michael Cianfrani, San Francisco, Calif.
- "My wife won't let me put one in the back yard."
Submitted by Claude Lempereur, Levittown, N.Y.
- "Make yourself useful—fake some Russian and hold up a 9.9."
Submitted by Christopher Rulff, St. Paul, Minn.
Posted by Johnnyk at 11:57 AM
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Saturday, November 07, 2009
"And, finally, may I remind you... no biting, hitting below the belt, or stepping on me."
- "And, in this corner, also hailing from Chernobyl..."
Submitted by Tim Herbert, Plainfield, N.H.
- "Very funny. Now give me the microphone."
Submitted by Lawrence Wood, Chicago, Ill.
- "But, first, a word on foot odor."
Submitted by Mike Egan, Syracuse, N.Y.
Posted by Johnnyk at 8:15 AM
Sunday, November 01, 2009
"You want to know about snow days?"
"Frankly, you're not head AND shoulders above your competition."
- "I'm afraid we need to make more cuts."
Submitted by David Kessler, New York, N.Y.
- "Please use a coaster."
Submitted by James Mulcahy, Thunder Bay, Ont.
- "I'm sorry I couldn't get more for you in the divorce settlement."
Submitted by Rick Kaufman, Dover, N.H.
Posted by Johnnyk at 12:22 AM
Sunday, October 25, 2009
"I'm not loving your topic sentence."
- "They ignored your first ten. What makes you think you'll do any better with these?"
Submitted by Bob Silverstein, Scarsdale, N.Y.
- "Dear ... diary ... She's ... finally ... asleep.... Oops."
Submitted by William DiDio, White Plains, N.Y.
- "It needs a feisty female detective."
Submitted by Lee Neville, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
Posted by Johnnyk at 3:47 PM
Sunday, September 27, 2009
"So I sez to the guy, go ahead, how deep can it be!"
- "Don't worry, he's covered by Aflac."
Submitted by Grant Tate, Charlottesville, Va.
- “Thank God, Fashion Week is over.”
Submitted by Dan Leciejewski, Walton, Ky.
- "We all deal with divorce in our own way."
Submitted by Tom Horacek, Richmond, B.C.
Posted by Johnnyk at 8:30 AM
Sunday, September 20, 2009
"But I thought you said either oar!"
- “American car companies just can't make a decent hybrid.”
Submitted by Eric Prestemon, Sunnyvale, Calif.
- “This would work out a lot better if we had kids.”
Submitted by Michael Fossel, Hartford, Conn.
- “You know, everyone laughed at Noah, too.”
Submitted by Rachel Pleasant Chambliss, Lakeland, Fla.
Posted by Johnnyk at 6:15 PM
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Sunday, July 19, 2009
"I think he's seriously pissed at you."
- "Sir, the competition is here to discuss the merger."
Submitted by Tom Alburn, Wrightsville, Pa.
- "Oh, yeah, we go way back."
Submitted by Patricia Radosevich-Coia, Reno, Nev.
- "He says he is known by many names."
Submitted by George Nikas, Avondale Estates, Ga.
Posted by Johnnyk at 2:56 AM
Sunday, June 28, 2009
The New Yorker picked:
"Don't you think we should pick up dames later?"
- "That’s smart, Eddie. The first place cops look is in the trunk.”
Submitted by David Wilkner, Pawtucket, R.I.
- "The instructions should have mentioned that you need a body of water.”
Submitted by Peter Bleyleben, Chestnut Hill, Mass.
- "What do you mean you don't remember? Either he sleeps with the fishes or he don't."
Submitted by Tim Wibert, Okemos, Mich.
Posted by Johnnyk at 10:30 AM
Sunday, June 07, 2009
"They're recent graduates of the Wharton School."
- “O.K., let's slowly lower in the grant money.”
Submitted by Todd Bearson, Arlington, Mass.
- “The research is conclusive—mice are even cuter when you dress them up in little coats.”
Submitted by Brad Hodges, Dungannon, Ontario
- “Relax, for them it's publish and perish.”
Submitted by David Burns, Needham, Mass.
Posted by Johnnyk at 8:18 AM